Thursday, May 18, 2006

Vista Requirements posted


Microsoft today has released a new site that will help you determine whether your PC is ready for the switch to Windows Vista. Here are the basics:

Minimum Requirements (Vista-Capable PCs):

  • 800 MHz Intel-compatible processor
  • 512MB of RAM
  • DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor
  • 20GB HD

Recommended Requirements (Premium-Ready PCs):

  • 1 GHz Intel-compatible processor
  • 1GB RAM
  • DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor, with 128MB graphics memory. (64MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor less than 1,310,720 pixels [no more than 1440x900]; 128MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels [no more than 1920x1200]; 256MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor at resolutions higher than 2,304,000 pixels [more than 1920x1200]).
  • 40GB HD with at least 15GB "free space"
Let me just say though that one of my friends has a Windows XP with 512MB of RAM and it is slow beyond belief. It is only about two years old and is capable of running Vista according to these requirements but I suggest you either buy a high-end machine right now or go the upgrade route because it just isn't worth the upgrade if you want to hurt your computer because it is so slow. If you can wait then I definitely suggest doing so until prices on upgrades come down because the demand for high-end hardware surely will be high after Vista is released. Better yet just get a Mac (I know. I'm a die-hard Mac fan.)

I personally own a MacBook Pro and I really don't want Vista to bog down my system when all I will be doing is playing some PC games. I recommend to all Mac Addicts out there to just put XP on your Intel Mac with Boot Camp right now which is probably what I will be doing soon.

Also, for all you that are planning on waiting then I just would like to let you know that Vista is slated for early 2007 but I would expect some delays if I were you (just in case).

No comments: