Tuesday, January 03, 2006

@ the Apple Store

Hey guys, I'm posting today from my nearby Apple Store. First, I've noticed that we have a good number of Mac users that read the site and also a few Apple converters. Personally, I wish I had a Mac and hopefully soon I will have one. I've been debating which one to get so I figured I could go through the agony and tell you guys which one you should get. First, I still haven't decided whether I want a desktop or a portable so I'll go through both. The desktops of course have a LOT of power. The portables on the other hand are exactly what they are. Portable.

I've been fiddling around with the different gadgets and I can honestly say that the Mighty Mouse is one of the best out there. I love it. It has a left and a right click but the great thing is that you can't even tell that it is double sided. It just knows based on where you hit the mouse. Apple of course has apple-ified the mouse. The scroll on the top is this cool little ball. It just feels so cool. I can't explain it. Just try it out and you'll know what I mean. I definitely have to get one. Only problem though is the price is a little steep but you get what you pay for.

Currently I'm on a 20' iMac G5. It is extremely fast and everything is integrated so well. Earlier I was on an iBook and Safari was a little too slow for my pace. *Note I'm a POWER user so everything has to be extremely fast for me. Most people will be comfortable with the iBook. The PowerBook is great and has enough power for me. If I go the portable route then I am going to have to go in that direction. My only problem with it, is that it isn't a G5. This means that it isn't a 64-bit processor so you don't get that extra boost. Hopefully the new Intel Macs will cure that problem.

Also, I tested out the PowerMac and it was AMAZING. I loved it. The only thing that I didn't love about it was the price. Just a little too steep for my wallet. But once again you get what you pay for and they give you a TON of power.

Every piece of Mac software is well designed and fully integrated. It really is a seamless experience. If you are converting from Windows then there are some adjustments but they are quick and easy.

Final Verdict: Every Mac is great here and is good for different users. For about 90% of the population though I suggest this: If I were to buy a Mac today then I would have to go with the 20' iMac G5 with a 250GB hard drive. Also, I would have to update the RAM just because I am a power user and time is extremely valuable to me. If I were one to wait then I would have to pick the PowerBook when it comes in with the new Intel chips. Hoped it helped to any of you out there and I definitely recommend switching for anyone.

Edit: I forgot to mention a couple of things. First, I tried fooling around with FrontRow and the remote but Apple did not have it for use. This REALLY made me made because I wanted to try it out especially if I was going to buy it. I asked the guy and he was cool about it and just explained that they can't really attach a security device to it. I understand this but they have iPod Nanos and such out so I don't understand why they can't make it happen.

Also, I found out that if you buy a new Mac and Office for Mac together then you get a rebate which is pretty cool. Furthermore, on all iPod accessories over $12.95 there is free shipping!

No comments: